Friday, July 15, 2011

My Love Affair

.. with Harry Potter.

It started when I was in high school. I remember during the summer months reading Harry Potter all. day. long. My friends would call to hang out, but I was busy. Busy falling in the love. :)

Fast forward a couple of years and I was married living in St. George with Danny and the 5th book came out. It was like a drug for me. I couldn't put it down. I had school work.. a huge midterm actually and every time I tried to study the book would just sit next to me.. begging for me to pick it up. And like any drug addict.. I did. I read and read and read until the wee hours of the morning and bombed my midterm. But it was ok, there was just too much going on. Harry Potter's anger issue's, the prophecy, Sirius Black (who I always thought was so cute in my head.) Obviously they were more important than my midterm.

When the 7th book came out, of course I picked it up at midnight. If I recall, it came out on a Friday. We had a family party that weekend and all us "cool" cousins sat in the anti- social area reading our books. I'm also pretty sure that I didn't make it to church that weekend. Harry Potter needed me.

Last summer, on our way to Newport Beach, Danny MADE -FORCED me (heavy sarcasm) to re- read him the 7th Harry Potter out loud. The whole way there, the whole way back. It was the best trip I ever had.

So last night, I saw the final saga to 10 years of my serious obsession. You can imagine my excitement. I had watched previews of this movie before seeing it and every time.. I got a tear in my eye and chills up and down my body. We went to the movie with our equally HP obsessed friends, the Davis's. Cute Jared wore the HP glasses and sported the lightning scar on his forehead.. He was looking good. ;) And I just absolutely LOVED every. second. of that movie! I cried, laughed, cheered, got sweaty during the "intense" parts.. I was all over the place. It was a perfect ending to a perfect love affair. And tomorrow my awesome work is doing a pretty intense "Very Potter Picnic" event.. ahh.. hello! Sign me up. Check out the hard core invitations they sent and Marauders map with all the different events. I mean so so cool, right?





Also, I started a little money jar. I NEED to get to that Harry Potter theme park in Orlando at Universal Studio's. It's one of my goals this year.. So i gotta start saving. If anybody pity's me, I will gladly take donations. :) What can I say, I'm a crazed fan.

5 comments:

The Neilson Family said...

Yeah Mind! I am so glad you were able to see it! You must go with me!! I am jealous of the picnic! It sounds so fun! Oh and I would love to join you on Orlando!!

Julie said...

This post makes me want to go and reread all the books. I love Harry Potter!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so adorably cute! Good luck with your goal that Im sure youll meet!

Lauren Bigelow said...

Ha ha Mindi! I love you! I am with you for sure, I love Harry Potter too! We also want to save for Florida!

Erin Bradley said...

mindy, you are cute!! i only read the first two books but i am now convinced i must read them all.