Monday, August 1, 2011

The Real Story

Alrighty.. I’ll let Danny win this one but here is the real story. Yes, I did ask him to get rid of the chickens multiple times, but I never gave him an ultimatum nor did I FORCE him to. I just gently COERCED him into it. There is a difference! He really rooted the idea in my head only AFTER he told me that he was thinking about getting rid of them in the first place because he was too busy to take care of them. That got my mind churning and I was excited about all the things I could do with the extra space in the back yard. Danny even told me, that while I was gone at girls camp he was going to get rid of the chickens. – Again, HIS IDEA! Well.. he didn’t and then left for 2 weeks for a business trip/vacation. SO, they were left in my tender care.

During the last 6 months that Danny has been gone.. traveling for business... while I was in charge of his precious coop: 2 chickens died and I had to dispose of their bodies. (One of them got caught in the chicken wire.. a very gruesome sight.) Another chicken almost got pecked to death and got blood everywhere by the dumb rooster we had. The rooster would somehow get out almost daily and hop the fence.. taking up at least an hour of my time trying to catch it. I would almost always have to enlist the cute neighbor kids to help me.

But what I really couldn’t handle was the mice. Danny didn’t clean the chicken coop at all during the winter months and when he finally moved the coop there were mice everywhere! Talk about FREAKING OUT!!!! Baby mice too. It gives me anxiety just remembering seeing AT LEAST 10 mice scurrying all over the place. I lost it. Started bawling. I couldn’t handle it. I can’t do mice. I’m sorry. We had mice in our house and I cleaned out every closet upstairs and there were “mice droppings” in every one. Even just a couple of weeks ago, when I was packing for California, I found mice poop in my suit case.

If we had a big backyard/barn then, of course, bring on the chickens! We’d get a cat to deal with the mice. But we don’t and I’m not adding a cat to our brood in White City. Just not happening. I feel really bad that Danny got rid of the chickens because he really did love them so much. He will probably get more and I won't be surprised if I get baby chicks again for my birthday.

Until then, our marriage is a happy one now. ;) No other ladies taking my husbands time or stealing his heart..

No comments: