Thursday, April 1, 2010

Deja vue

4 years ago, Tuesday, I celebrated my 21st birthday.. at that time Danny surprised me with 4 baby chickens as my big birthday gift. I didn't handle it very well, started crying and may have gently given Danny a little "love tap". He loved his chickens. They sat on the couch and watched tv with him, he bathed them, he even took them to Wendy's through the drive thru one time. But sadly, we lived in a condo at the time and as soon as the management found out about them we had to give them away.

Since then, we have moved into a house and have a bigger back yard. Danny has been threatening to get some more chickens for a long time now.. So it shouldn't have come as a huge shock that on Tuesday for my 25th birthday, 3 baby chicks arrived as my big birthday gift from Danny and Whitney. However, I was shocked.. but I must say, I have matured over the last 4 years, didn't cry and just kinda laughed. So in addition to the 2 dogs, 2 turtles, a husband, toddler, and baby on the way... we have just added 3 chickens to our brood. Whitney does love to maul the little things and it makes me nervous. Danny says that they are so inexpensive that if Whitney (or Mo) "accidently" kills one by playing with it too roughly, that it will be ok. That's comforting. I, on the other hand, I guess am ok with it. Chickens are ok if they live outside and eat my ants... then it will be a good birthday gift, but right now Danny has configured a nice little cage for them next to the turtles in our office. It's lovely to wake up at the crack of dawn and go to work with so many friendly pets and many friendly smells that come with these pets. We pretty much have a petting zoo at our house, so feel free to bring your little ones over... they will be entertained for hours. Plus, we don't charge to play with our pets, it's free, and you can even borrow a couple if you want!

But really, I knew what I married when I married Danny and what that entailed ... BIG idea's, chickens, turtles, and lots of spontaneous adventures and I do love him for it (even if i cry sometimes.)


5 comments:

Devin, Abby, and Grady said...

That's so funny. Maybe I'll have to bring Grady by!

Becka said...

I hope that offer stands! The kids would think they've died and gone to heaven!

Missy said...

We will have to come visit your petting zoo soon!!

Amber said...

happy birthday!!! i want to come see all the pets~! that is so funny.

Brittney N said...

Mindi, you are a trooper! I don't know what I'd do if Jake brought home baby chicks! I'd die of shock because he'd never do it. That's something I would have to do. Danny is awesome! Could you guys maybe get some baby ducks sometime? I have always wanted some ducks but I can't have them so if you got them I could live vicariously through you.