Monday, April 5, 2010

General Conference Weekend


I love Easter but I also love general conference. I got a double dose of my 2 favorite things this weekend and it was lovely. :) So conference was crazy good, right? I loved it! I felt like every talk was for me and there was a recurring theme throughout, which was pretty obvious, although it may vary with different people. That is what I love. Different talks can have completely different meanings to different people but they are applicable to all. I loved what Elder Neil A. Anderson said at the beginning of his talk and how he was described the process in which the speakers choose their talks. He said to the effect that each person that speaks isn’t given a topic but through study and prayer they are inspired to know what to talk about. Seems to me, most of the talks were about teaching our children and youth. .The rising generation. What a scary yet awesome responsibility that is to us, women, as our calling in life IS to nurture and teach those around us.

Another favorite of mine, family home evening at grandma Donna’s. We have had this tradition for years, every general conference, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandbabies, and great grandbabies meet at grandma’s for a general conference FHE. It is my most favorite thing! We all go around the room and talk about what was our favorite conference talk and why. Often times many of the talks are repeated but different things are said and different thoughts are given. I don’t remember everybody’s favorite talk, but what I remember most is the spirit that was present, the spirit that speaks heart to heart. The same Holy Spirit that unifies our eternal family. I sure can’t wait to have FHE’s with my family up in heaven. I wonder what they will be like???

So, what I got out of conference this Easter was.. well a lot of things, a lot of things that I could definitely be doing better at! What stood out the most though was: I need to be a better mother to Whitney. Teach her the gospel more diligently. I need to be a better example to her and the girls that I serve in the ward. I need to love as Christ does by being “His eyes and His hands.” As a mother, I need to stop complaining about the everyday mundane things I do and get to work!

What did you get out of conference this Easter??


1 comment:

Aubrey Doyle said...

Great entry! I, too, felt the theme this time for conference was on mothers and our roles as teachers and nurturers. It made me want to jump up and start doing more with my kids, teaching them more, focusing more on the gospel. It seems like such an awesome responsibility and overwhelming, but I am so grateful for the gospel and general conferences that remind me of my responsibilites...so I can improve!

p.s. I was telling my boys about your many pets and they were so excited and asked if we could go see them right now! So, one of these days (when we aren't battling colds) we would love to come see your petting zoo!