Friday, May 28, 2010

Naptime

Ever since the 2 year old turned 2 naps are a thing of the past. I was in denial for a long time and tried everything that I could possibly think of to get my little one to sleep:

I tried to let her cry it out (I’m not good at the tough love thing, anything over ½ hour is too long for me.)

I tried getting her to cuddle and nap on the couch.. nope. I even let her try to take a nap in my bed, but that didn’t work either.

I tried singing songs to her in her crib. She did fall asleep (after an hour of singing) but as soon as I tried to sneak out she instantly woke up. Plus that is too much work to do every day.

Whitney loves to bounce.. on the couch, in her car seat, but her best place is in the high chair. As my last resort, I thought that I would try that out. I turned on some quiet classical music and let her bounce herself to sleep in her high chair.. and it actually worked! (Well it worked once.) She finally let her guard down and fell asleep. Not the most ideal nor comfortable place to sleep, but she was ASLEEP and mom was happy to have a little break.

It took me awhile (I cried for a couple of days) but when I finally came to terms with the fact that naps were no longer a part of our routine, we had to come up with a different one. So we have “quiet time” now where we read books and then she watches a couple of shows. We have been doing this for over a month and it has been going pretty good and yet again she throws me for another loop. These past 2 days, she has wanted naps and has actually napped without throwing a fit. Who knows.. I guess naps are cool again?? I’m not complaining though, I’d gladly have her take a nap over no nap. It has been a blissful 2 days for mom, but I don’t want to get my hopes up too high. My fickle toddler could change her mind at a moment’s notice!



4 comments:

Lindsey Sharp said...

I fear when these 3 decide they don't want to nap anymore! Avery was an early "Nap Quitter" I hope she is back to naps for awhile for you!

Anonymous said...

of course kids always do the opposite of what your trying to accomplish

Devin, Abby, and Grady said...

I also dread the day Grady is done with naps. Naps keep me sane. :-) Quiet time is a great idea!

Porters said...

haha those are so cute. I love it, we have those same types of weeks at our house too. :)