Friday, July 10, 2009

The Do's and Don'ts- Traveling with an Energetic Husband and Toddler

I am a complete novice at this toddler traveling thing and I have learned a lot from our experience on driving to Newport! For all of you 2-3 kid mom's who have it "all together" please shed some advice on what works and doesn't, I need it! We have another road trip in a couple of weeks and this time I am going to be prepared! For all of you "new" momma's out there, here is what I learned on our drive to California (MIND YOU: most of what I learned is common sense-- which apparently I am really lacking!!)

DON'T give your energetic independent toddler her own soft drink. She will probably spill it, get everything sticky, and throw a major tantrum when you try and take it away!

DON'T try and change a poopy diaper while you are still trying to drive. Not only is it probably illegal and dangerous, but your energetic independent toddler just might climb on the cooler, bang on the window with no diaper on and then throw a major tantrum trying to put her back in the car seat.

DON'T feed your energetic independent toddler lots of candy and fruit. Major diarrhea.

DON'T decide to drive on the day after a holiday. We left St. George on July 5th and it took us 9 1/2 hours to get from St. George to Newport. (It should only take about 6).

DON'T or DO-- it's "sixes" and totally depends on your mood-- let your energetic independent HUSBAND listen to Madonna's, Hung up, 5 times in a row and then proceed to tell you all about the music video he is going to create... UTube... Saturday Night Live Performance... Late Night Show with David Letterman... Apparently the Westenskows are about to get pretty famous so watch out, yall!

DO put on soothing music for the energetic independent toddler. We listened to Enya's cd 2 times all the way through and didn't get a peep from the toddler (and no she wasn't sleeping, she was just enjoying the peaceful music!)

DO take the wheel and drive. I never thought that California traffic would be better than entertaining an energetic independent toddler, but it is!

DO drive all night. I know that it might be more dangerous but a lot easier! We did it on the way home and the energetic independent toddler slept the whole way. It was great! Just load up on a lot of diet Rock Stars and candy!

BEST ADVICE--- DO spend a little bit more $$ and buy plane tickets! Saves a lot of time, stress, and tantrums!

Was it worth though??? HELL YA!!! I love the beach and would travel with my "two crazy's" any day!

Worth every second of it!

4 comments:

Broadheads said...

I love it! I hope you took pics of the car ride. I will have to remember that about friut and candy tho.

EQIPD said...

that is some good advice. mark sounds a lot like an energetic indepentdent toddler. Im glad u had fun =) I havent been to the beach since I was 8.

Lauren Bigelow said...

Ha ha! This was pretty funny Mindi. Sounds like you had lots of fun! I especially love the hell ya at the end, you are so funny!

Chris, Alissa, Parker, and Tenley said...

Thanks for the advice! I am going on 2 long road trips this summer, one of which starts this Friday. I'll let you know if I learn anything! Ha.