Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Budgets

With Danny now working in the financial industry he has become a lot more "observant" with our bank accounts. He has finally decided to give me a budget. The dreaded word! Not that budgets are bad, I think that they are good and necessary regardless of your income. Danny has set me up with a separate debit account in which I get xxx amount of money on it every week for groceries, food, gas, and whatever else I need. If I run out of money, too bad! And if I dip into one of our other debit accounts--- I'm in trouble! In order to really maximize my budget (and also prove to Danny that I can stay on a budget) I have jumped on the bandwagon and have started coupon clipping. I have subscribed to the weekend newspaper and have found a new passion--- Saving money at the grocery store. I'm not like the "crazy coupon addicts" who save $100's at the store but I am saving a little bit and having fun doing it! I went to Smiths the other day, I only spent $27 but saved about $15. I know that isn't MONUMENTAL savings but it's 15 more dollars in MY budget to spend on anything I'd like! Although I initially wasn't super thrilled about the idea of budgeting, it has actually turned out to be kinda fun. I am learning to get creative in my purchases and to be more disclipined. Who could have thought having a budget could be so fun?? Ok, maybe not "so fun" but interesting (in a good way).

7 comments:

Lindsey Sharp said...

my cousin just had a coupon clipping party at her house but I couldn't make it! I really want to learn! so have you seen harry potter yet? I saw it last night and LOVED it! it was so good!

Jamie said...

Mindi...I'm excited, you'll have to refresh my memory on the 2nd book after you're done reading it, cause I don't want to read it again. I love it that we are blogger friends!!!
K, and about your budget. When I lived in Pennsylvania, I was on a tight budget, so I had like $300 a month for groceries and would only go to the grocery store like twice a month-otherwise I'd spend way more. And at first it was hard, but I LOVED it. It really was fun (I guess this it what fun becomes the older we get!). I would have to plan out like 2 1/2 weeks of meals and go get everything for $150. It was seriously the best feeling sticking to it. So, good luck with your new budget and have !FUN!

Chris and Hilary said...

I have yet to figure out how to save hundreds by using coupons either, but it's amazing how just saving a few dollars here and there can add up. If you find any good money saving tips along they way be sure to pass them along!

Ashley and Ezra said...

I'm glad you are actually enjoying this new challenge!!! I'm scared to think about the kind of budget I will be put on if I ever stop working! Keep clipin those coupons so you can spend that extra cash on your self! It's ok to be selfish right!

Broadheads said...

I tried coupons...it just makes me drive more...which then makes me find more things I want to buy and then I spend more than my budget and then its all over BLAH! I guess they cant teach self control! have fun at girls camp!

Studio 7 Interior Design, Kristen Rockwood said...

Ok Mindi...
I need your help! I'm want to start coupon clipping and I don't know where to start! I tried doing "pinchingyourpennies.com" and I am LOST when I'm on the sight! I click on something and all the coupons brought up are for dog food, and then I don't get how to get the coupon! Help help help! Please and thankyou. :)

KP & Amy said...

So I love coupons! I am going to a coupon and grocery saving party thing and I can't wait. Hopefully I learn some good tips, if so I'll let you know.