Sunday, June 7, 2009

Temple Celebration


Last week I got to go to the temple celebration performance at the Conference center and it was AMAZING! For those who don't know, with the Draper and Oquirrh temples being built President Monson wanted to do a temple celebration with all the youth within those 2 districts. We had 7000 youth in our district perform. The performance was in chronological order from when the saints arrived in the valley and then ending with our time. Our stake was in charge of the train era (when the train made it to the valley). At first, when the practices began, it was organized chaos. Imagine trying to direct 200 + kids, not an easy task and one I am glad I didn't have to do! Although it was kinda crazy, the spirit was always there. President Monson said that those who participate will be blessed beyond what they can comprehend. It was really awesome to see these youth sacrifice their time to a cause that they will never forget. The early pioneers sacrificed everything that they had to building their temples, our youth gave their "small sacrifice" to their temple in Draper.

My cute little brother Parker, who I love and look up to also got to participate. His stake was the Indians and he was on the stage with only 8 other people doing a hoop dance. He also got some good face time on the jumbo tran! I know that my brother was blessed with the spirit as he sacrificed his sports and friends to participate in this performance.


I am so grateful to have been able to witness this awesome performance and to have the spirit testify the truthfulness of the gospel. President Monson is gathering his "2000 Stripling Warriors"- girls and boys to become great leaders and examples in these latter days and to usher in the return of our Savior. There is strength in numbers and these good youth are a force to be reckoned with!

This is my sweet nephew Dom who comes to church with us. He got to perform and loved every second of it! He has such an enthusiasm about church that it is contagious. I love his little guy!

This was the Indian hoop dance that my brother was in. He didn't have as many hoops but he did an awesome job!




Our dear and beloved Prophet, President Monson. It was president Eyring's birthday so we all sang to him!

The stage was completely transformed. They had built a huge mountain covering up the pipes with the temple at the top.


And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

--Isaiah 2: 2


I hope that I can do a better job going to the "top of the mountains". There is no place on earth like temples and I need to go more than just 1 time a month to give my small sacrifice to the Lord!

5 comments:

Kari said...

What an awesome experience. Thanks for sharing it. I remember when the youth did something similar for the Newport Beach Temple dedication - the spirit was so strong and that the months of sacrifice were suddenly worth it. How lucky we are to be members of the church and to be raised in such great families. I think we owe so many of our blessings to the fact that we have such an amazing Grandma who is so strong. Love ya. See you at the beach!

The Neilson Family said...

That sounds so cool! I wish I could have been there! I am glad you wrote it down for us to read all about it! It is so neat that everyone takes the time out of their busy schedules to do a celebration that our cute prophet has asked them to do! Love ya Mind!

Studio 7 Interior Design, Kristen Rockwood said...

Thanks for this post Mindi! You're awesome! My little sister got to preform in it. Its crazy how much time the youth put into this! So great!

Chris, Alissa, Parker, and Tenley said...

I wish I could have seen it! It sounds amazing!

Mark and Racquel Stallings said...

Oh I loved it so much too! It was a bummer that we were with the different temples but at least I got to see you once. I couldn't believe how it all came together so well! It was amazing to be apart of!