Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Today's Ramblings

Life is hard. Not that that is such a bad thing. Trials are good, right?? Just an opportunity for growth. They mold us and shape us--- creating character. I feel like we have been in the "molding" stage for awhile now.. just bidding our time.

I also feel like I have been selfish lately. Selfish with my time, selfish with my money, selfish in my prayers. "Bless me, help us." I know that the Lord hears and answers every prayer, but sometimes it's not exactly how we would always like and the true test is to submit our will to the Lord's and trust in Him. As I was thinking about that very thing this morning, about the need to be 'less selfish in my prayers and bear my burdens/trials with patience', I read the following chapter in the BOM, Mosiah 24. And it hit me like a brick of rocks. To summarize the chapter, Alma and his followers were in bondage to the Lamanites. They prayed with all their hearts to be delivered from bondage, but the Lord didn't immediately grant them their wants. He "eased the burdens which were placed upon them" that they were able to bear them with great faith and patience... Interesting. After they "submitted cheerfully and with patience" did the Lord finally deliver them out of bondage from the Lamanites. Yes, trials are hard, but sometimes our prayers aren't answered by the trial being taken away, but rather we are given patience to endure it.

I love conference. I feel like a lot of talks were geared towards serving and loving others. Time is not on my side these days. I feel like I am slacking in so many area's.. serving others is one of them. This morning when I knelt down to say my prayers I asked the Lord to help me "serve someone today and for the spirit that I may know what to do." -- I got an immediate answer. "Serve my children." And so I did. I was present all day. I didn't clean (much). I didn't put off Whit's million questions. I didn't tell her, "no, I couldn't play" but just put all of my tasks aside and spent quality time with the people that mean the most to me. And I learned an invaluable lesson.. sometimes the greatest service that you can give is being present with your children and loving them. I am grateful for my 2 beautiful children. They are my whole world and make me so happy.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Hey girl! I love that part in Alma. I had a talk with my Dad recently, and he told me "you will most likely reach your goals, but I can PROMISE you that it won't happen when you think it will, or how you think it will." I thought it was good to hear, and I have already found that to be true the past five years.

Are you coming to girls night??! You better be!

Heather said...

btw... I still haven't forgiven you for calling me out in Mafia! Boo. :(

The Neilson Family said...

Mind that is so precious. You are a wonderful mother. Hang in there. We love ya!

Aubrey Doyle said...

Beautifully said and a great reminder for me! I'm always so impressed by your thoughts and testimony! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Your heart is so big and your words are so strong! Thanks for this inspiration!