Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Introducing Whitney Mae Westenskow



















Mindi was scheduled to be induced, but started her contractions at 6:30 that morning. The labor and delivery went very smooth. Cute Mindi did so awesome, apologizing to those who showed up early for having to wait that the baby hadn’t come sooner. It crushed hurt my heart when Mindi’s brave tears dropped while getting the epidural (she has a very low pain tolerance), but then she was so much more fun to be around after the legs went a bit numb. Whitney was born April 16th at 8:33 pm weighing 7 lbs and 2 oz, only after about 20 minutes of pushing.

Thursday morning little Whitney was spitting up a light green color. The nurse thought that there might be some problems with her intestines, so she was scheduled to have some x-rays, and a barium enema examination (you drink the white chalky stuff, and then they x-ray ya). Whitney was in NICU with an i.v. in her little arm for 24 hrs with no food in preparation for these test, it broke our hearts to see her that way. The barium revealed a slight twist in her intestine, but was not drastic enough to continue to refrain her from food. Mindi was very excited for the opportunity to again feed her from her now very large breasts.

The x-ray, which they took a few times to confirm, divulged a unique side to our little girl. Whitney is part of the .01% of the population that has Situs Inversus. Situs Inversus is a congenital condition in which the major visceral organs are reversed or mirrored from their normal positions, which means that her major organs are on the opposite side of her body. Cute Parker, Mindi’s little brother, expressed his concern about which hand and where it would be placed when stating the pledge of allegiance and hoped that no one would get mad at her for misplacing her hand on the opposite side of her chest to cover her heart. Situs Inversus has no effects. She will be able to function her whole life as if her organs were in the correct place. Mindi and I consider it a reminder from God, letting us know that He is watching over our family. After all since there are no serious problems with her intestines, we could have gone a long time with out knowing about her uniqueness, and that type of information will be good to know as she grows. It was also comforting for us to know that Donny Osmond was just realized to have situs inversus, after a misdiagnosed appendicitis. Thanks Donny, we’re hollerin at ya brotha!

We were able to bring home this precious little bundle of joy Saturday morning. When she found out that she was able to come home, Whitney expressed how excited she was to finally be formally introduced to Mo and Muffins. Mo, our handsome man, was intensely curious about her. Both dogs have taken great interest in Whitney even waking up at night with us while feeding from Mindi’s now enormous breasts. The first night was hell, but each night gets better and better as cute Whitney, Mindi, Muffins, Mo, and I get better acclimated to our new routines.
Whitney is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I get emotional just writing about her. Mindi and I love little Whitney so much, as I’m sure each parent experiences and we have both thoroughly enjoyed this incredible experience in becoming a mother and father. Mindi has been so stellar; my love for her has increased ten fold. It was an emotional weekend for us and we are glad to have had such a growing event.

And so the next chapter of our life begins. Thanks family and friends for your prayers, phone calls, and encouraging thoughts. We love you! Here are some pictures of our new little baby girl, the new center of our world, taking place of the Utah Jazz and our dogs. Ooooohhh that’s sad, we still love our dogs too!


















25 comments:

The Neilson Family said...

Oh you guys she is beautiful! I soooo wish I was their to hold her! It so makes me baby hungry. maybe someday right? Love you guys and Danny it's so great to see your emotional side.

Janna said...

She is so cute. I'm glad Danny is enjoying Mindi's enormous breasts. Congratulations you guys.

tothe4thfloor said...

She is sooo cute! And that dark hair! Were you guys surprised that she has a lot of dark hair? Congratulations to you both!

Lindsay Wright said...

Congrats guys!! She is so beautiful and perfect. Love the hair! Danny, like Janna, we are so glad that you are enjoying Mindi's mommy breasts!

Brody and Lindsay Wright

Anonymous said...

Congratulations you guys!! I'm SO very happy for you both! I can't wait to meet Miss Whitney in person - let me know when you're ready for your final baby shower!! She is adorable!! Love, Mona (blog snooper)

Meghann said...

Hey guys! This is Meghann and Alex Curtis, really it's just Meghann. You have a really cute baby, I am so excited for you guys. You are going to be the best parents. That's crazy to hear about her little organs, I am so glad that she is okay, our sister in law has the same condition, I think she found out a lot later in life though. Good luck with everything, when she is older we will have to babysit for you guys. Send me your email so I can invite you to our blog, mine is meg8186@hotmail.com

Mark and Racquel Stallings said...

Boo ya! this is so awesome! I am very happy for both of you! now we really need to come over to the house! Just let me know when.

Love you buddy!

Moreno's Soccer said...

You guys did AWESOME!!!
You may not be able to imagine it getting any better or that your heart could feel more love than you feel now - but it just gets better every single day. We are sooo happy for you!!! Congrats.

Anonymous said...

It is fun to see what your blog has become since the babe! Congrats! She is gorgeous as we knew she would be from the collage of Danny in an earlier post! Anyway, I love the American Idol post! I nearly peed. If they ever do couples Idol...PLEASE audition. xoxo, selena

Lindsey Sharp said...

You guys she is so beautiful! Congratulations!!

Kari said...

She is a precious angel. What a beautiful girl. You are both going to be awesome parents. Those first few weeks are so tough but so worth it. We love you guys and can't wait to meet Whitney in person and also to get a sneak peek at those enormous breasts!

Angi Gerrie said...

She is so darn cute! Congrats you guys!

Jamie said...

Congratulations! What a blessing it is to be parents and to have a sweet healthy little girl!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations you guys - you make a BEAUTIFUL family! It is absolutely amazing - it doesnt seem that long ago I was holding Danny not much older than Whitney and here he is a proud (and justifiably so) father. Thanks Mindi for bringing out what you do in him. I love you guys and cant wait to meet Whitney when we get back to UT. Dave & Rach

Jodi said...

Danny & Mindi,

Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl!!! I'm so excited for your new addition!! I'm so happy everything is ok. Happy times ahead... =)

Jodi

Brittany said...

Danny and Mindy - This is Corby's sister Brittany I found your blog, hope you don't mind, and just wanted to say a huge congrats, she is beautiful! I wish you both well and some sleep.

Connie said...

Hey, Elder W (Danny!)- I found your blog through Sis. Stancliff's. I just wanted to say congrats and good job to your cute wife, Mindi! Whitney is so beautiful. I'm glad that everything went well. Sounds like you guys are adjusting well. Check out our blog too if you want- peterandconnie.blogspot.com

Jenny Hart Turk said...

Whitney is Beautiful! She is so cute! I can't wait to actually hold her next time I see you guys. What a blessing :)

Kathy said...

Congrats! She is such a doll! We're so happy for you and look forward to meeting little Whitney!

Morgan & Heidi Taylor said...

Hi guys this is Heidi, I saw your blog on megans and wanted to see pictures of your sweet little girl & see how you're
Doing! Your daughter is absolutely beautiful!! Her dark hair is fun! The lack of sleep is hard at first but being a parent is the best thing in the world! Danny I've met you a couple of times-but the most words we've said is nice to meet you etc. you're so hilarious!

Aubrey Doyle said...

Congratulations! She is a beautiful little girl! I'm so excited for you guys!

Soap Blaster said...

Hey man, this is Topher Affleck

Who knew that Danny was capable of contributing to something so beautiful?!? Seriously sheis adorable. I hope all is well with you guys.

patty said...

Hi Danny and Mindi, This is Patty, Lacey's Mom. It is so fun to watch your blog and get the updates on whats happening.Congratulations!! You have a beautiful baby girl! This is going to be the best time of your lives.You will be great parents.Love ya, Patty

Brandon and Tenille said...

Danny I don know if you remember me I am hoping you do so I dont feel so dumb. Anyways I saw your name on the altal hawks log and thought I would take a peek at your blog. I hope you dont mind. Ok your wife is beautiful and your daughter is gorgeous. Oh my gosh and her hair you are so lucky most girls for some reason are balled. Anyways you have a way good looking family. Wish you guys the best of luck with your new cute fam. Sincerely Tenille(martin) Butcher....

Ben and Kira Olsen said...

What a beautiful little girl! I am so excited for you guys! Being new parents is the best experience in the world. The enormous breasts are not too bad either :).