Monday, May 30, 2011

Lessons Learned from the Prophet #1


I just finished reading President Monson’s biography and absolutely loved it! My testimony has been strengthened by the example of this gentle giant. I have learned many lessons from him through his biography that I hope to never forget and want to apply in my daily life.

#1. Family life is the most important and treasured gift that we have.

President Monson sums up his feelings this way: “When we have sampled much and have wandered far and have seen how fleeting and sometimes superficial a lot of the world is, our gratitude grows for the privilege of being part of something we can count on—home and family and the loyalty of loved ones. We come to know what it means to be bound together by duty, by respect, by belonging. We learn that nothing can fully take the place of the blessed relationship of family life… All of us remember the home of our childhood. Interestingly, our thoughts do not dwell on whether the house was large or small, the neighborhood fashionable or downtrodden. Rather, we delight in the experiences we shared as a family… What we learn there largely determines what we do when we leave there… The thoughts we think, the deeds we do, the lives we live influence not only the success of our earthly journey, they also mark the way to our eternal goals.”

I look back on my childhood and the best memories I have are the times spent together as a family. Vacationing with the cousins. Spending summer’s… almost every day with my cousins. It was wonderful and I wouldn’t trade it for a million dollars! I am grateful for my family.. my parents, siblings, grandparents, extended family. My family really is a product of who I am and who I want to become.

Being a mom and having my own little family, I so want my children to have the very best childhood anyone could possible imagine. That doesn’t mean giving them everything they want money-wise, but rather creating traditions and memories together.. and documenting them so that they can look back and hopefully remember. I love my family.. they really are MY greatest TREASURE!





Posted by Picasa

Some of us cousins at my cousin Brooke's wedding last Wednesday. She looked beautiful!

Posted by Picasa
Our little family. It's pretty impossible to get all of us looking at the camera at the same time. Oh well. :)

No comments: