Saturday, October 10, 2009

Zumba!!

For those who have never heard of this, it is the newest workout craze. You combine weight strength, cardio, and sculpting while dancing to Latin songs. I DON'T dance and am reminded often by Danny and other loved ones of my lack of dance skills, so this gym class would be an obvious no for me. When my mom approached me about doing this Zumba class at the gym, I politely declined. She kept on being persistent and after many no's she finally, gently and motherly- like, FORCED me to do this class with her and my sisters.

As the day came closer a couple of concerns came up:
1. The location. Golds Gym on 13th.--Every time I go I see random people I haven't seen since high school, don't care about, and don't remember their names.. I pride myself in being pretty anti social and avoiding public places where their might be potentially awkward situations. This particular gym is a hot spot for awkward situations.
2. The classroom isn't "classroom friendly". There is a weight area right outside of the room with LARGE windows for "peeping Tom's". I don't want random people to see my awesome Latin dance moves. ;)

Night of the class, I decided to try and hide my identity by wearing an over sized sweatshirt and hat so nobody would recognize me and my sorry attempt at Latin dancing. When we got there it was super packed, I couldn't believe how many people would come to a Zumba class.. AANNDD I wasn't the only one who couldn't dance and nobody cared! Half way through the class, I completely forgot about how stupid I looked and started having fun! I LOVED it and might just become a regular attendee. Thanks mom for making me go!

The first song we danced to was Micheal Jackson's, Thriller, which was so fun. I came home totally high on endorphins-thinking I was pretty sweet-- and tried showing my dance moves to Danny. He thought it was hilarious.. so I still can't dance but I guess that is ok.. dancing is just not in the cards for me. Hopefully Whitney will get her daddy's dance skills!!

6 comments:

laura said...

i have heard of zumba and very much want to try it. the gym we just joined offers a class, and your braveness just enticed me to go....i'll keep you updated. xo.

Heidi said...

I love that class! I'd love to go with you.....

Chris, Alissa, Parker, and Tenley said...

I have heard of the zumba rage! I too have zero dancing skills, so I haven't dared to go ever. This post has made me think about it again though.

Lauren Bigelow said...

Way to go Mindi! It sounds like so much fun!

Jenny Hart Turk said...

Your guys blog always makes me smile/laugh every time I read it! I love you guys! Zumba is suprisingly fun and makes the time go by so fast! Isabel and I did it once sometimes twice a week at 24 hour fitness. And we sported our moves at Lake Powell which you totally missed out on with Suz being the best Zumba-r

KP & Amy said...

I think that sounds pretty fun I'll have to try it. Alissa, I took dance with you in middle school and you were a great dancer! Oh, and I cheered with you. What do you mean you have zero dancing skills?